Looking back on my pregnancy; may I present Hip Bursitis

This is a blog I wrote midway through my pregnancy as I was experiencing a very weird condition making it near impossible to sleep. Oh goody, sleep deprivation before the baby’s arrival.

Anyway, wanted to share as I’d never heard of it and consequently didn’t find anyone else in my preggo circle who was suffering from it…

——————————————————————

I’m writing this at 23 weeks pregnant, beginning of Feb 2018.

For months now I’ve been suffering a burning, ache deep in both hips, flaring up mainly at bedtime.

Now when you’re preggers, and some sources will recommend even from as early as 16 weeks, you should be sleeping on your side, preferably the left. It goes some way to protect baby from being stillborn apparently. Ok, I’m in. No question. Wrap and tuck that heavenly pregnancy pillow all up in my grill and off I’ll drift to the land of nod.

But what’s that you say? Here, have some agonising pain that makes sleeping on your side near on impossible? GREAT TIMES.

Again, caveat, caveat; I am THRILLED, AMAZED and ALTOGETHER STILL IN A STATE OF DISBELIEF that I am pregnant. I haven’t fully crossed over to the other side yet, the next level of the game where I’m all ‘look at me, I’m pregnant and I really believe it’. Hence not even blogging (well, publishing) it until post baby arrival. But in all honesty, I am not having an easy, glowing pregnancy. That’s just how it is. So I’m sharing my truths.

I’m on tenter hooks all the time. Just yesterday I got what I describe as ‘that terrifying pain again’ that creeps around from on top of my left arse cheek and sweeps around under my bump on the left. It quite honestly renders me too scared to move, unable to speak and if I can move I straddle my yoga bolster and rock until it passes. I’ve had this maybe 4 times now, the first time happening on New Years Day 2018 in the shower where I literally fell to my knees. It is debilitating. I’ve spoken to the midwives and have been told that again, if I can feel baby move (I HATE THAT QUESTION) and there’s no other symptoms like a loss of fluid or blood then it is *probably* intense round ligament pain. Probably. That’s reassuring.

Anyway the hip thang. I mentioned it to my midwife and was told it was just everything loosening up. Cool. Then mentioned it to my GP and he didn’t know what it was. When I ended up in a&e the other night because (in an unrelated turn of events) I couldn’t breathe because of the most incredible stitch under my right rib, the docs there didn’t know what the hip thing was when I mentioned it to them too.

Then I went to yoga. My Sunday morning preggo yoga class run by Rhyanne Hall of Living Yoga London. Each week before we start stretching and shifting our blooming bods, we go around the class saying how many weeks we are and any new or reoccurring symptoms we want to share. I mentioned the hip thing and Rhyanne just casually said ‘that sounds like Bursitits’.

Never heard of it? Same. I then made appointments for Physio and learned that basically in different areas of our bodies we have ‘bursa’ which are like shock absorbers. And in pregnancy when the relaxin hormone is doing the rounds, some things give more than others and end up getting inflamed. For me, in my hips. YAY.

Ok Ms Physio, fix me yes? No. Well, via some weeks of massage and manipulation things did start to ease but I was told that because I’m pregnant the normal course of action can’t be followed; steroid injections or ultrasound therapy.

So while i’m still being sick every 2-3 days, that’s actually a piece of puked up cake compared to this condition. Sleeping is a mare. I will start on my left side, side straddling my glorious pregnancy pillow. We start off well. I go to sleep. A mere 2 hours later and I wake due to a deep deep hot burn in the hip I am resting on. No probs, I simply turn over on to my right but with the left still fizzing with pain. Then 30 mins later the right side kicks in and there we are, this spells out the remainder of my night tossing and turning, just wanting to sleep on my back but too terrified to because of baby.

I’m still working obviously, so to say I am groggy at work is a huge understatement. I joke about it but in all honesty I am fucked.

I am trying various remedies at home; icing the area (probably not enough) to aid a reduction in inflammation, rubbing magnesium gel on the areas and taking baths with epsom salts. I prop myself up in weird and wonderful ways atop various wedges and pillows to try and take the pressure off my bottom hip. Nothing works. And I am not a fan of painkillers, especially with a teeny bub inside me.

So there really isn’t a conclusion to this blog I’m afraid, but wanted to share as I have been endlessly googling ‘hips burning night time pregnant help’ and nothing is returned. So maybe if your hips are hunks of burning love during pregnancy, welcome to Club Burshite-is.

Vx

Share:

14 comments so far.

14 responses to “Looking back on my pregnancy; may I present Hip Bursitis”

1. Lauren says:

Just want to share that I have been suffering the same thing. This is my second pregnancy and I had this with the first pregnancy as well. It started for me at 17 weeks and literally stopped directly after giving birth. I know this blog is a few months old, but it gave me comfort to see I’m not the only one suffering from this. I wish there was a way to ease the pain— the tossing and turning from one side to the next every single night! It’s so rough.

2. Jade says:

Thank. You. So. Much. For posting this. I have had this off and on from week 10 of preggers life (with it worsening when staying in beds that aren’t my own!). I’m now at the end of week 28 and I am in full throws of burshitis and feeling really at a loss with the crappy sleep and constant pain. It feels like it’s getting worse each sleep and there is a long way to go… reading this, and Lauren’s comment I found really helpful. THANK YOU

• vickygooden says:

Goodness me Jade, sorry you’re going through this too! There’s very little written about this isn’t there. Do you have a pregnancy pillow? Instead of having a leg either side of that (so essentially having it between my legs) I would prop both legs up on it to try and relieve some hip pressure. Sort of work to an extent. Really feel for you. It completely goes after birth :/

• chand netrekar says:

Hey guys ! Myself Shilpa I am in my 29 weeks of pregnancy and this bursitis has really kept on my toes! As my pregnancy is assisted pregnancy …I was pregnant with twins but soon things weren’t in place as cake walk …I had it’s own set of complications @ my 2nd month,my twin 2 wasn’t doing good !vanished away and 💓 heart beat stopped as knowing this I was really upset and monuring for it …it took 2 weeks to get out and realising that we need to be strong for my twin 1.who is amazingly doing fine now my little miracle of joy who is coming shortly now! But 2nd trimester was sort of fine but soon as I entered my third trimester I started getting pain in left leg wierd conditions …I use to have this pain but never understood thought it could be leg cramps…but the pain started shooting up which made me unable to walk …the movement I step my left leg I feel pain coming from buttocks radiating to complete Left leg …on an urgent visit to gyncologist who was unable to help me refered to orthopaedic…who diagnosed as bursitis started taking physiotherapy …but no improvement …due to pregnancy treatment is restricted i am on nerves to get rid of this condition and been working women it gets harder too and feeling of been handicapped in life 1st time.. the pain shoots up after taking few steps making day to day activities harder ..as my therapist adviced bed rest is only way to ease the pain d muscle strengthing excercises…it will take its own time to heal and I feel so inquisitive rgt nw …at times I cry out of pain ohh God ! Irrespective of doing all home remedies no show …but hoping it will subside on its own …my mistake was that I started sleeping in left side in my 2nd trimester which is beneficial for fetus growth.hence there are chances that my left buttocks has compressed completely…and now I can’t sleep on my left now only right side … And keep changing the movements …and if u have any suggestions kindly infrom me …

Thank one d all and happy baby bust to all preggy ladies there.

3. Sarah says:

I had this too and it magically disappeared as soon as I gave birth. I found no way to prevent it in pregnancy sorry. I used to get up in the middle of the night and march around the house until the pain went. It just got worse as my pregnancy progressed. Perhaps ice packs?

4. Sophie Thompson says:

Also glad i came across this post, exactly describes what i’ve been dealing with since about week 20 of my pregnancy. i am now at week 36 and i am almost at breaking point! It has very slowly almost imperceptibly got worse. sleep has become my least favourite time, i literally dread going to bed as its just a miserable night of pain and very little actual sleep. I have a preggo pillow around my waist (for when side lying becomes unbearable, usually around 3am and i have to try and sleep sitting up – joy), a belt with pads on the waist to take pressure of hips and a pillow to keep my feet raised and hips as straight as possible. Also i wear a giant tubigrip in the day over entire bump and hips to try and take pressure of baby off hips/pelvis. bloody hassle.
    I went to see an osteopath privately (NHS physio was next to useless) for PGP as i also suffer from extremely sore pelvic bone when walking/sitting/generally being alive (are the two related?) and bursitis is what she diagnosed. I’ve been given exercises to do (side leg raises, hip stretches etc), told to ice for ten mins every few hours on both hips and pelvic bone and getting massage/acupuncture treatment. Only had one session so no improvements yet but i am quietly (desperately?!) hopeful.
    I honestly feel for anyone suffering from this, and am praying the baby arrives sooner than later so this will stop! If anyone can master sleeping sitting up i reckon its the only way to get through the night pain free without resorting to paracetamol.

5. Krystal says:

I’m only 6 weeks pregnant but I’ve been dealing with bursitis for months. I was googling to see how other expecting mothers have dealt with this and was thankful to find your post.

Bleh it’s horrible

6. Laura says:

This is my experience right now, explained beautifully. Thank you.

From,
    Pregnant & Wearing Ice Packs

7. Aimee says:

Thank you so much for posting this! I’m 30 weeks and in tears reading this because for the first time I feel like I’m not crazy. Everything you’ve described is exactly what I’m experiencing and I’ve been researching, stretching, seeing experts for 4 months now. Wow, It helps so much to know I’m not the only one, even though I wouldn’t wish this agony on anyone else!

• vickygooden says:

It’s so awful isn’t it?! I had no idea what was going on until my yoga teacher suggested it might be bursitis. It should pass as soon as your precious baby is out in the world if that’s any consolation. I know it’s so difficult to deal with just now, especially as you’re probably rather tired x

8. Harriet says:

I’m 26 weeks pregnant and have been suffering with this in both hips – thing is, I’d already had it in my right hip for the last 10 years after pitching my tent over an ants nest (don’t ask!) so knew the symptoms when it flared up in the left hip. Over the years, I’ve found a few things that help relieve the pain that don’t involve a steroid injection… regular yoga or Pilates (and generally being active) helped me a lot, a memory foam topper on a regular mattress softens the pressure on the hip, a cold pack can help numb them too. I’ve always found that when I put on weight it gets worse, so this essential weight gain added to the loosened ligaments is a classic bursitis combo!

If (I mean when!) I get woken up in pain, I tend to lean back so I’m nearly lying on my back (but not totally) and open my legs up to take the pressure off the bursas… it’s not a pretty sight but I find it relieves the pain. Tiger balm oil is wonderful but I won’t recommend that as there haven’t been enough proper tests to see if this affects unborn babies – the NHS medicinesinpregnancy.org website is very noncommittal on the subject of essential oils.

• vickygooden says:

This is so helpful, thank you! Sorry you’re in pain, hopefully it eases after baby makes his/her welcome x

9. Talia Mcgill says:

And there was me thinking I was going mad arse crazy!! I feel like I need to print this and pin it to every mum and baby board in town! There may be no cure but at least we won’t be googling like sleep depraved loonies!
    I actually had my lo in January 2018 so I was googling for months not to mention seeing a tonne of nhs specialists trying to explain the weird pain!!
    A note from my experience is that when I was induced the pain increased massively and now I wonder if there was a connection?
    Out of curiosity, does it ever flare up since you’ve had the baby or has it gone completely?

• vickygooden says:

Tell me about it! Why don’t they know more about it?! Love that it was my yoga teacher who was like ‘i know what you’ve got!’

Mine hasn’t come back since 🙂 Thankfully